Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
If you have a fire in your home it is important to follow these tips for your safety and the safety of your family. One SERVPRO of Oakville/Mehlville gets on site they can begin to start the restoration process and get your home back to pre loss condition.
If you have questions, we encourage you to contact our team. We will gladly be there to help you through any situation. It is important to make sure the fire department safely clears the property before stepping foot back on it. Once they clear the property, one of our project managers will be able to walk the building and decide what the best course is for the cleaning and rebuild.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (314) 846-0600
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.